Sunday, June 16, 2013

Welcome to our Santa Barbara "Garden"

Kill your lawn, drink more beer, BBQ more often and plant more native plants. Billy Goodnick http://www.billygoodnick3.com/  landscape architect says there are only two weeks a year when your landscaping will all look like you want it to. That's over for this year, but what we have now are many individual plants to enjoy and more subtle combinations of and color after the major bloomers are off.
Pitcher Sage; Native

I have eliminated mowing area every year and added more native plants. The advantage to killing the lawn; less water, less maintenance, grows more of the leaves invertebrates want to eat and they in turn feed more birds while the hummers and butterflies sap up the nectar. In my rural neighborhood there are still tons of native plants growing all around so I do this to lighten my load and to learn more about the phenology of the plants; who blooms when and what they look like at each stage. 

If you live in urban or suburban locations, start by looking for native plants that live with you in the neighborhood. I found only four species and 7 individuals in several blocks walking around Solvang, CA. Everything else was imported and often from other continents! So adding just a few native plants to your garden can help the network of good eating places for butterflies, birds and all the invertebrates they depend on. This creates a sort of national park of our backyards knitted together! 

Next time you decide to replace a plant or add a new one, look for a native to fill in. 
California Thrasher
Birds like the California Thrasher will love you for the return of native habitat. 

After a week of indulging my inner writer at the Santa Barbara Writers' Conference I was ready to indulge in garden views and reflect on my conference experience. It was a treat to hear all those words structured into amazing stories taking life during the week. I offered feedback and screwed up my courage to read some of my "material" and listened to the feedback in the workshops I attended.



Melic Grass & Coffee Berry
 I heard personal stories of grandma withholding her age from her much younger husband until her death at 99, motorcycle interviewing across the west, pursuing a brother's killer to death row, kayaking the Alaskan northern coast and the successful inclusion in Oprah's book club. In the readings I heard fiction tales of gargoyles, star-crossed lovers, jilted heroes and the travails of pre-teens picking out husbands.

I received gentle feedback on improving my writing and learned about marketing the products of my solitary hours with the computer. I'll try to put all my learning into action, slowly.

Deer Weed 

Golden Yarrow
At the men's table (how did that happen with all those women in the room?) on the closing night we shared that the experience of reading our works for critique was more difficult and felt more vulnerable than most things we have done as bosses, consultants, teachers  and more and that was a surprise to us. I expected I wore armor against such emotional entanglement, but my voice quavered and my heart misbehaved. I wondered what my cardio guy would say.



Meanwhile there is peace in the garden except for the caterpillar dismembering the leaf, the bird swallowing the caterpillar and the dang gopher who ate my mountain mahogany all gone!

Monkey Flower

Matillija Poppies


Manzanita

Coyote Mint

California Fucshia

Add caption


Elderberry Leaves



Blue Jeans Ceanothus

Sage

Pink Buckwheat


3 comments:

half dane said...

Nice pictures. Good comments on the SBWC. Vulnerable. That's a good sign to your openness. Still feel compelled to write? Got passion? Good luck and Godspeed.

Richard Sherman said...

Great shots -- closeups of flowers and plants are really tough to get, and these are terrific!

Making yourself vulnerable was certainly part of our academic writing. Submitting a manuscript for peer review always felt to me like going in front of a firing squad.......

Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...

My academic pubs went off to anonymous folks I didn't see. That was easier for me and, well, it didn't really matter much to my career, until after it was almost over.