Saturday, May 19, 2012

Desert Mystery +Nature Track outing

 Imagine this on the sharply cut bank of a desert wash. What do you suppose it might be? It has the look of something organic although there are no animals evident and no green chlorophyl, so if it is growing it must be fungal.  The length of this splotch is about a foot. So what does that leave us?
This is simply a blown up section of the first photo to provide you with more detail. I continue to think it looks organic and I am still puzzled about it's source. The hole suggests a center of activity, but there was nothing moving. If you have ideas, please do comment hear or email me with your  theory! (nord.nord@gmail.com)

Chia in the foreground growing in a Joshua Tree desert wash. So much chia and somewhat skunky smell I've not noticed where there are smaller quantities.
Lunch for the weary Nature Track adventurers  away from school sitting in a field of cream cups!

4 comments:

haff zane said...

did you stick your finger in the hole to make sure there was nothing living inside? Could it be insect poop? As you might guess, I'm clueless.

Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...

I did nothing but look and snap this photo. Wish I had explored some more. Can't tell if it was wet/damp, it didn't look like it or if it had any smell.

Richard Sherman said...

How about some kind of wasp or bee nest, now abandoned? I've seen that kind of goo around holes that led to interior hives.

Can't believe you didn't touch it!! Too intriguing for me to leave it alone......

Brody said...

Dubai Desert Safari is one of the best location fro the trip i like it very much