Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Motoring over mountains




Preparing for our road trip, north to Alaska, just took on a higher pitch. Our goal is to be underway this weekend, probably Saturday (6/14/2008). I suspected a battery problem early this spring. I denied it and it seemed to be resolved. Although Volta’s battery tech is nearly a couple hundreds years old, I have yet to master the care and feeding of all the batteries required of modern life. Our central DC source is tonight being stroked back to life in a dingy industrial building in Oxnard. Hope it works.

This is the point where I think that getting on the big planeis a far better idea than our grand plan to drive roundtrip, Santa Barbara to Alaska. Even so, sometime, in the middle of next week, I'll be happy motoring along relatively traffic-free roads bent toward Alaska. I’ll see waterfowl by the thousands, bears by the dozen, eagles in coveys like quail and moose standing shoulder to shoulder in every swamp from the Canadian border to the Kenai Pennisula. So goes the fantasy!

Our road out to public byways is relatively free this year, negating my usual need to cut my way through the brush for the trailer! Thank you Wildlands Residents Association!

Our coach has aged and required more muscle in the cleaning technique to bring its white shiny coat to a luster that will repel the rain expected in the north of the great dry. Fuel-saving (one hopes) truck tires were researched, located and installed. To replace my defective digital air gage, a very long, shiny, cylindrical metal analog air gage was purchased. I am nearly ready.

I calculated the ever-changing cost of diesel against the enormous number of miles and mountains between here and Homer, Alaska. We may be staying if a truce between commodities speculators and drivers world wide is not secured. I’ll send our new address if that’s the case.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great time....I will start a fund raising campain soon so you can return to Santa Barbara; since I don't believe gas prices will be coming down anytime this year!!!!
Luv Nancy

Micael Kemp said...

Have a wonderful time and take lots of photos. That way if you end up staying in Alaska, we can at least see where you're living. :-) I know you'll have a great time. Drive careful,. - mk

Anonymous said...

Wish we were coming along -- still on our list of things to do. Keep a trip diary, please. Coast on the hills! Bonnie

Anonymous said...

The into-the-wild soundtrack is one of my favorite right now. Of course, it will not apply to your adventure. Keep us posted whenever you find the WiFi!!

Don

Anonymous said...

Carpe cerevisi!
haldane

Anonymous said...

I am soooo jealous! Have a great trip and I hope you will be back before October to speak in the ES 190 class again! Please mark your calendar for two of the three Monday's in October: 6th, 13 and 20th! Class runs from 5:00-6:15pm. 8-)

Eric

Dennis L. Nord, Ph.D. said...

Tonight I finished torqueing the lugnuts on the trailer and turning off the gas supply to the generator. Can't wait to lift off tomorrow for the north country. More later,

Den